- Put the chocolate in the bowl of a food processor. Make sure the bowl is completely dry. Process until the chocolate is finely ground. You want a coarse granular texture. Stop if the chocolate starts to clump together and release its oil.
- Let the chocolate dry at room temperature for several hours. Then process again briefly. The chocolate will have lightened in color.
- Store the chocolate in a mason type jar with a tight fitting lid. If you are using the vanilla bean pods, layer them in as you fill the jar.
- Put 4 Tbsp of the chocolate powder in the bottom of the French press. Add in the espresso powder, if using.
- Put the milk in a quart sized Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, until it just comes to a boil. You can do this on the stove if you want to.
- Pour the scalding hot milk over the chocolate and put the plunger top on the pot, but don't depress it yet.
- Let the milk sit for 2 minutes.
- Then plunge vigorously for 1 minute to froth the hot chocolate. It will increase in volume. Do this on a steady surface.
- Pour into 1 large or 2 small cups and enjoy!
I don't know about this page's claim that this could substitute for breakfast, but I was pretty game to give it a shot when I first made this! It was my first attempt at using the French press to give a hot drink a foamy layer, and in my inexperience, pretty much aerated the entire drink. Nevertheless, made from my leftover Valhrona dark baking chocolate and heated to a belly-warming temperature, one could do absolutely no wrong and indeed I felt no need to add anything else to my palate after drinking it (at least, for a good half hour to an hour).
No Caffeine Needed
I am, by nature, already a pretty high-energy person, but I like a beautiful-looking mug of something frothy and delicious-looking as much as the next person. I obtained a French press so that I could feel fancy at home too, but nearly everything I make from it is, by necessity, caffeine-free, so that I don't vibrate my way out of my skin the rest of the day (or drive everyone else around me crazy).