- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium-high. Add the carrots, celery and green onions, toss together to saute briefly then stir in the garlic. Add the chicken broth and bay leaves to the pot then raise the heat to high.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly and leave to soak in water for about 15 minutes.
- Once the broth has come to a rolling boil, add the rice, salt and pepper. If you're using raw chicken, put the chicken pieces in as well. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. If you're using cooked chicken, stir in the cooked chicken now.
- To prepare the egg-lemon sauce, in a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and eggs. While whisking, add 2 ladles-full of the broth from the cooking pot to temper the eggs. Once fully combined, add the sauce to the chicken soup and stir. Remove from the heat immediately.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if you like.