This turned out surprisingly well for a first attempt! Maybe not quite as crunchy as I sometimes prefer, but more than just edible, and endlessly adjustable.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread nuts on the baking sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- If using dates: In a small bowl, add dates. Cover with boiling water; set aside for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Either by hand or using a food processor, roughly chop up the nuts. In a large bowl, add oats, nuts, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Stir to combine.
- If using dates: In a blender or food processor, add dates and 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth. If using honey: Microwave 1/2 cup of water until warm and mix honey in until blended.
- Stir almond butter, vanilla, and almond extract into the date or honey mix.
- Slowly pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until evenly blended. Pour granola onto the baking sheet in an even layer. If you want a chunkier granola, press the layer into a solid sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. If you want a looser granola, stir the granola around in the pan and bake for 10 more minutes. For a chunky granola, do not touch; let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread nuts on the baking sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes.